Thursday, February 14, 2013

Intro

This blog is not meant to be anything exciting.... But life is different here in Alabama, and since most of the people that read this are going to be my classmates from Wisconsin... well maybe you'll find some of this interesting, slightly funny, or just dumb enough to check into once in a while.

Just as a kind of, introduction I guess.... I lived in Milwaukee and surrounding suburbs, my whole life. It wasn't horrible, it just got.... routine. The defined lines in neighborhoods (southside, northside, eastside, etc), seeing people from my past that I never really cared for but still pretending to miss and want to catch up, the crappy ass winters and even crappier summers, the family I got myself into but never really wanted.

Don't get me wrong, my very extended family is in Milwaukee, I miss them very much. Having the four distinct seasons was always nice. I do even miss the mix of cultures (mostly the food!)

But down here, winters aren't freezing. They don't involve 3 feet of snow. Summer's are mostly in the 90s. And spring and fall are almost non-existent. I love it! I may not have my family, other than my mother and my son, close by, but people down here treat you like family even when you're not! I have felt more love from people than I had ever felt from my son's father's family. I miss my Greek, Polish, German food.... but Southern food is the shit!

My son will grow up with a bigger sense of community and family than he ever had. He will grow up with a bigger appreciation of the outdoors, the country, the land, the water. He will grow up in an area of the world where history is made through music and true culture of the area. He will not grow up in a concrete jungle where everyone is has false tendencies. He will grow up learning that Marin Luther King, Jr Day is also Robert E Lee day.

My biggest concerns are that he may say "cain't" and "ain't" But he will also be saying "Yes, Ma'am" "No, sir"  "Please" and "Thank you". He will respect his elders and appreciate people, land, and the people who love him.

So if I've already bored you, I understand. If not, well I hope you somewhat enjoy what I have to say in my upcoming posts. I will try to include funny stories, pictures, etc. But I'm generally not a blogger, so I make no promises.

Later, Yall!

2 Comments:

At February 14, 2013 at 6:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog! I love the south! I have a daughter who lives in Headland, Alabama . They moved there, because of a job at a nuclear plant. They had another choice, which was New York, but they didn't want their kids(my grandchildren) in the school systems. I can relate to your thinking, but I do miss the city and the people that live there. I will be checking back to read your posts they are definitely not boring! Happy Valentines Day!

 
At February 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Danielle Klein said...

Great post. I love the point you made about your son maybe saying ain't or cain't but he will grow up having respect for his elders and appreciate the land and those around him. That is great and I can relate. I grew up in a small town and if I had kids I would want them to grow up with a sense of respect and community that I just don't see here. Can't wait to read more of your posts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home